To use LiveHeats for live scoring at an event, we recommend the following devices:
- 1 x laptop for Director
- 1 x tablet or phone per Judge
- 1 x mobile wifi hotspot device per contest area
The below provides some recommendations and examples to consider purchasing. If your club or association is on a tight budget, you might consider running everything from a single device like a laptop which will still allow live scoring.
How many do we need? Just one
Who for? The LiveHeats Director
What is this used for: For setting up the event, building draws, and configuring schedule
What to look for: You can use any laptop, on your preferred operating system, that has a web browser and can connect to the internet via wifi. We recommend downloading the Google Chrome web browser, which is where you'll be using LiveHeats.
- Be sure the device is set to use internet time
- Turn off the auto update of applications on your laptop so it doesn't drain your hotspot data
- Ensure you are using an updated version of Chrome, Firefox, or Safari
Tablet or smartphone
How many do we need? One per judge
Who for? Judges
What is this used for: For entering scores or places
What to look for: You can use any recent tablet or smartphone with a web browser. You can use LiveHeats on any modern smartphone or tablet - whether it is Android, Apple, Amazon, or Windows. Our favourite is the Samsung Tab A for a premium option and Amazon Fire Tablet for a budget option, but you can find any tablet that suits your budget.
Tips for set up:
- Turn off the auto update of applications on your tablets so they don't drain your hotspot data
- Turn the devices on Do not disturb so the judges don't see notifications
- Turn off the auto-sleep and password
- Ensure you are using an updated version of the tablet's web browser
Mobile internet hotspot
How many do we need? One per competition area
Who for? Judge's and Director's devices
What is this used for: To provide internet to the above devices
What to look for: All devices listed above must be connected to the internet to use LiveHeats. If judges are using their phones, they can rely on their own 3G/4G. If you'd like to use tablets, you can buy a mobile broadband hotspot from your local telco provider.
Note: you can also use your phone hotspot to connect judges tablets to the internet. The system uses around 100mb of data per day for all devices (very little).
On-site TV or monitor scoreboard (optional)
LiveHeats also offers a dedicated page designed for a TV or large monitor. You can connect your Director laptop to this using a HDMI cable. See here for more.